Here is the "before" picture of my house and the gargantuan garage door. Nothing but garage, huh?
Okay, so spray paint can't shrink the size of the door, but it sure made it nicer on the eyes, in my opinion. Here is the "after".
1. Caught husband gone (I like to do my thinkin' and cipherin' alone and independently until I come up with a plan I know will work) and went to the back corner of the backyard to find a reasonably straight fence board leftover from the fence around the perimeter of the yard. Eyeballed it to make sure it would be long enough to get four "hinges", two for each side.
2. Cut a template for the hinges from a dog food box (that's two things saved from the trash - - box and old fence board). I just cut one side from the box, folded it in half and went to cuttin' with the scissors. Here's what came out:
3. Traced four hinges onto the board with an ink pen and commenced to cutting, using a jigsaw. I used some spring clamps to secure the board to my work table while cutting.
4. Sanded the rough edges and spray painted! Hubby is involved by this point, and thinks the "hardware" I created looks really nice. I think he *may* have doubted the project originally. Please note that there are many, many hardware kits available at any major home improvement store or online, but I didn't want to pay good money for one if I didn't have to. As a matter of fact, there is still a kit in my cart on Amazon waiting to be removed. It was only like $20, but making my own was very satisfying and CHEAP!!!
Alright, that's the hinges, but what about the handles? I had some leftover cabinet door handles from our recent camper re-do, so I used those. However......they didn't look substantial enough on their own, so I cut a couple of rectangular sections from the fence board and mounted the handles to them prior to spray painting.
What about the windows? I used some good old blue painter's tape to mask off the top row of rectangles, along with windowpanes. Again, I didn't take any pictures during the process, but I got my idea for the whole project from HERE at House to Home Blog. This is an "in progress" photo of THEIR house, but is exactly how I did mine:
Here is my house again, and a closer look at our handiwork:
I just noticed another DIY project on the "after" picture that wasn't in the "before" picture from several months earlier: shutters. These were also cut from leftover fence panels and painted barn red with leftover paint from a neighbor. Cheap and free are great!!!
God bless you and have a fun and frugal week, from our house to yours!