Monday, December 30, 2013

Homemade Turkey Pot Pie

Well folks, for my very first fun and frugal homespun post, I would like to share with you my homemade turkey pot pie. I am sure many of you are in a quandary over what to do with all that leftover turkey and fixins' from Christmas. Never fear, you can create something beautiful AND delicious that will have everyone bragging and asking for more. Best of all, this recipe isn't really even a recipe (other than the dough). It is a composition of all the things you have in your fridge or pantry that you might want to throw into a pie crust. That, to me, is the best part. There is nothing worse that starting a recipe and finding out I am missing a couple of ingredients. I usually ALWAYS substitute something else or leave it out if possible. I don't like having to stop what I am doing and go to the grocery store. Ughhh.  It stifles my creativity and causes me to have to spend money. No thanks. Anyhoozle, on to the pot pie......

For the crust, I used my standard biscuit dough recipe, but in the spirit of using what you have, you could probably use canned biscuits! Here's my recipe:

2 cups flour
1 stick of margarine / butter (that's 1/4 cup, folks!)
2/3 cup of milk (water will work if you don't have milk)
Dash of salt
Dash of sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place all these ingredients in a big bowl until they are combined (if you stir TOO much, though, the finished product will be a bit on the tough side). Dust your countertop with flour and dump the dough out. sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough and start rolling out until you reach about a 1/4 of an inch in thickness. Next, turn your pie plate (or baking dish) upside down on top of the rolled dough and cut roughly around it to get the correct size for the bottom crust. Then, with the help of a nice and flat spatula, gently lift the dough and place it into the pie plate. You will have enough left for a top crust, too!

Are you ready for the fun part now? Start adding ingredients! Here's what I happened to have: 

2 1/2 cups more or less of turkey, which I cubed
About a cup of stuffing
About a a cup combined of both whole kernel and creamed corn
1 1/2 cups of leftover cream of chicken soup

I simply layered these things into the crust, adding my soup last so that it would drain down into the other ingredients and moisten them as the pie baked. Next, I decided that I wanted a lattice top on my pie. I re-rolled the rest of the dough and cut some strips. I added them to the top of the pie, weaving them as I went. You don't have to do this, as I think a regular, solid top would be nice too - - just don't forget to make some holes in the top so your filling can vent! I baked it for about 20 - 25 minutes, and here's the result!


Trust me - - there's no precision here, and it turned out yummy! The hubster and son were thrilled with the result, and the pie itself was so big, it took the three of us two different meals to eat it. I loved the fact that I only added what I had leftover. If I hadn't had any corn, I might have opened a can of green beans - - you get the idea. From our house to yours:  I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment